Improving Early Child Care & Education
Pregnant women, lactating mothers and their newborns need the right kind of nutrition, medical care, etc. for better health and overall development
Our aim is to use Early Child Care & Education (ECCE) so that no child is left behind due to the unavailability of good quality education.
For this, we aimed at improving their comprehension, reading, and imagination skills through various learning aids.
The programme was implemented in five districts of Uttarakhand i.e. Dehradun, Haridwar, Udham Singh Nagar, Tehri-Garhwal and Nainital. The focus of the programme was to
1. Train Anganwadi workers to teach via various forms of multimedia and digital tools
2. Improve the methods of teaching through storybooks, projectors, instruction cards, etc.
3. Hygiene training
4. Provide Anganwadis with various teaching aids
5. Increase community development in early childhood development
The impact created by this intervention was:
• Children taught through the ECCE method could comprehend stories 2 times faster and identity pictures and shapes 1.5 times better than children who weren’t trained via the GGSS curriculum
• Improved the health and hygiene of 1.2 lakh children.
• Improved service delivery of 6000 Anganwadis.
• 20% increase in parents’ interaction with Anganwadi workers about the personal hygiene habits of their children.
• Helped the state government revise its entire ECCE curriculum.
About Sesame Workshop India Trust (SWIT)
The Sesame Workshop India Trust (SWIT) is an NGO which started in 2007 and works to improve the childhood development of children in India. As of now, they have reached about 5 million children from various parts of the country. Through their flagship initiative, ‘Galli Galli Sim Sim,’ they are focused on improving the language, literacy, numeracy, social and other skills of children and their caregivers.
Learn more about them here