A Cattle Care Program meant to empower small and marginal farmers living in rural India.
Giving farmers the opportunity to strengthen their earning capabilities can completely turn their lives around. With the idea of enhancing the livelihood of farmers; our program focuses on cattle breed improvement, high-quality veterinary infrastructure, and enhanced productivity of cattle.
1,358 Villages across 14 districts in 2 states
3,41,991 Cattle treated through 70 ILDCs
18,629 Artificial inseminations completed
7,374 Confirmed Pregnancies through 70 ILDCs
1,22,667 Cattle treated through 795 Cattle camps
We created the Shwetdhara Program that focuses on taking a high-quality veterinary infrastructure to the rural areas and driving cattle breed improvement through behaviour change and awareness and availability of best practices. To implement this effectively we have a two pronged approach
Integrated Livestock Development Centres (ILDCs)
- To setup 5 ILDCs in every district delivering quality veterinary services like artificial insemination at the doorstep of livestock owners. The genetically superior progeny born out of this programme yield much better milk quality.
- Each ILDC to be run by trained veterinary assistants called “Gopals” offering various first-aid and healthcare services free of cost as well as sharing the latest techniques for fodder cultivation and preservation with the farmers.
- Trained doctors to regularly visit villages to provide medical care as well as monitor and evaluate the progress.
Cattle Care Camps
- To organise regular cattle care camps in far-flung areas, so that we can reach and help many more farmers who cannot reach out to the ILDCs
- The camps are run with the help of a para-vet, providing vaccination and medical care for the cattle.
- Locals are regularly trained in techniques like artificial insemination, and other veterinary services that do not require administration by a trained doctor, this makes them more equipped to take care of their cattle.
The expected outcome of Shwetdhara is to improve income levels of small and marginal farmers by improving milk yield of their cattle. This will be achieved through:
• Promoting health seeking behavior for livestock amongst rural Indians
• Providing high quality affordable veterinary services at the doorstep
• Providing high quality artificial insemination services through trained para-vets (Gopals)
About J.K Trust
J.K Trust Gram Vikas Yojana is our implementing partner mainly because of its extensive experience in the field of rural development and livestock improvement. JKTGVY is essentially a rural development scheme of the J.K. Trust, Bombay that works in the field of animal husbandry. It focuses on breeding, feeding, and other veterinary support services to dairy farmers. Their presence across India helps us efficiently deliver our Cattle Care Program.
Learn more about them here